Sunday, January 7, 2007

Jason watches "Rocky Balboa" and "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer"

I actually hadn't intended to see "Rocky Balboa", but it got pretty good reviews (77% on the tomatometer). Still, I didn't particularly want to see a washed-up star who has become little more than a cruel joke, destroying what glory he once had. Fortunately, Mike Tyson's cameo was as short as it was pointless. The rest of the movie was much, much better than yet another Rocky movie had any right to be.

Perfume has gotten mixed review--55% tomato rating. And I can't put my finger on what exactly's wrong with it. It was pretty good, but not great. I had high hopes since it's directed by Tom Tykwer ("Run, Lola, Run"), but it didn't quite live up to them. Perhaps the premise--someone with a supernaturally sensitive nose who attempts to synthesize beautiful women into the world's greatest perfume--is just too extreme to relate to. Or maybe it's just too long--alsmost 2:30 when 1:45 probably would have done it. Anyway, I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing it, but it just didn't quite do it for me.

No comments: