Sunday, September 16, 2007

Jason watches "Superbad"

Against the advice of numerous friends, who saw it and had reactions ranging from "not all that" to "suuuuuucks!" But it has an 87% fresh tomatometer rating, and I often find myself liking movies that my friends don't.

I have to say, this was the worst horror movie I've ever seen. It had a pretty good, if standard, setup--a bunch of thoroughly unlikable sex-crazed teens go to a party. But there was no masked psycho jumping out to slash them all to bits. It's like they played it as a teen sex comedy instead. I'm so confused.

And I'm so disappointed in Michael Cera, who I really liked in "Arrested Development". But playing basically the same character just older as if he hasn't matured at all through high school is pretty lame. There are a few laughs, the whole bit with McLovin and the cops made me laugh even as I noticed how contrived it was compared to the rest of the movie. The casual misogyny didn't work at all. Ultimately, I haven't been this disappointed in a highly regarded hit/cult movie since "Napoleon Dynamite".

No comments: