Sunday, January 20, 2008

Jason previews upcoming event--Noir Fest, Indiefest, and Teeth

Okay, I'm all caught up writing about movies I have seen, so I can look to the future and tell you about upcoming events.

First up, starting Friday, January 25th at the Castro is Noir City, the SF noir film festival. I've heard good things about this festival, but I've actually never been. So I hope to make it this year.

Whether or not I see the rest of Noir City, I will miss opening night, because I'll be at the Rickshaw Stop for the Indiefest kickoff party. Indiefest is the festival that started it all for me, and it's always a good time.

The actual Indiefest festival starts on February 7th at the Castro and plays through February 20th at the Roxie and Victoria theaters. As usual, I am planning to see everything (it's possible, but not trivial, I'll tell you how shortly). So I can list the movies I'm most excited about seeing, but this comes with the caveat that I've barely skimmed the program guide, I just figured out how to see everything. My favorite movies are always ones that I didn't notice when I first read the guide. So this list of movies I'm excited about is really a list of movies that have the greatest chance of disappointing me:
Being Michael Madsen--that looks fun.
A Big Story in a Small City--Always love the Eastern European dark comedies.
Never Belongs to Me--You had me at "From the director of Teenage Hooker Becomes Killing Machine in Daehakroh", but what's it doing as the midnight screening both Friday nights? Are you trying to let me go home early one of those Fridays?
Paranormal Activity--looks creepy. I detect a bit of a theme in my preferences.
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation--This actually played at Indiefest a couple of years ago. A shot for shot remake (minus the airplane fight scene) of "Raiders" done by kids. Awesome!
Sexina: Popstar, PI--What's not to love?
Stuck--I remember hearing about this when it actually happened. And it's directed by Stuart Gordon? Awesome! And if you only think of Stuart Gordon as making cheesy horror comedies like "Re-animator" (one of the all time greats, by the way), check out "Edmond".

Anway, see you at Indiefest!


And finally, I want to make a rare mention of an upcoming movie that's playing in general release. When I heard about Teeth, a modern re-telling of the vagina dentata myth, I couldn't wait to see it. Well, it's finally coming to theaters in a limited release, including the Landmark Shattuck in Berkeley on January 25th. Now, normally I wouldn't mention this, I'd just write about it after I saw it. But a few days ago I got an e-mail from a promotional company called deep-focus.net, informing me about it. Here's the e-mail in entirety (with the e-mail address removed):

*** WARNING: SHE’S A MAN EATER ***


Next week, TEETH opens in San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Boston, Philly, Portland, Houston and Denver. The much anticipated film from last year’s Sundance.

Roadside Attractions Presents TEETH:

Synopsis:
TEETH tells the story of High school student Dawn (Jess Weixler) works hard at suppressing her budding sexuality by being the local chastity group's most active participant. Her task is made even more difficult by her bad boy stepbrother Brad's (John Hensley) increasingly provocative behavior at home. A stranger to her own body, innocent Dawn discovers she has a toothed vagina when she becomes the object of violence. As she struggles to comprehend her anatomical uniqueness, Dawn experiences both the pitfalls and the power of being a living example of the vagina dentata myth.

The film stars Jess Weixler (GOODBYE BABY, THE BUG BAD SWIM), John Hensley (TV’s NIP|TUCK, FIFTY PILLS), Josh Paris (PHONE BOOTH), Hale Appleman, Ashley Springer, Vivienne Benesch, Lenny Von Dohlen, Nicole Swahn, Julia Garro and Adam Wagner. TEETH was written and directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein (RESURRECTION, PATRIOTIC).

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
*** TEETH opens in Seattle, Austin, Boston, Philly, Portland, San Francisco, Houston and Denver on Friday, Jan. 25th
***
*************************************************************************************************************************************************

Meet Dawn on MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/dawnokeefe

Digital EPK can be downloaded at:
http://link.deep-focus.net/roadside/TEETH_EPK.zip

Trailer can be downloaded at:
http://link.deep-focus.net/roadside/Teeth_Trailer_500.zip

Onesheet can be downloaded at:
http://link.deep-focus.net/roadside/Teeth_Teaser_OneSheet.zip

Publicity Stills can be found at (Please register to log in):
http://www.roadsideattractionspublicity.com
I couldn't have said it better myself. More importantly, getting stuff like that makes me feel like I've arrived. I mean, someone who works in promotions thinks that getting a mention on this blog will help their movie. And hopefully it does. I hope the movie's good, because I'm really excited about it.

No comments: