Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jason watches LIFE OF PI

Yup, it's beautiful, just like the trailers (and pretty much all reviews) indicate. And the bulk of the story is about a young man who, after a shipwreck, lives for weeks on a life boat with a dangerous Bengal tiger.

But that's not what it's really about. Early on we meet an older Pi, living comfortably in Montreal, and we learn that he's a Hindu, Catholic, and Muslim (and though not Jewish, he does teach a class on Kabbalah at the local university.) What the story is really about is God, and the many paths to find him.

I won't elaborate for spoiler reasons. But I do find it interesting that the trailers emphasize the adventure but don't really mention God at all. But I don't really want to start a discussion as to the marketing reasons why. So I'll just let that hang here.

Running Time: 127 minutes
My Total Minutes: 306,507

No comments: