Thursday, May 31, 2018

Jason watches 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in glorious 70 mm at the Castro

Goddamn that's a gorgeous movie. Go see it, whenever you have the chance.

Okay, not going to recap the plot, just a few thoughts that passed through my mind while watching.

The opening pre-human scene kind of drags on, but is beautiful. In our prequel-obsessed Hollywood, I'm surprised nobody has pitched a 2001 prequel just fleshing out the dawn-of-man sequence.

For how much I remember HAL, that's a pretty short part of the movie. There's more time on the moon and the space station then on the trip to Jupiter.

Why TF did Dave go out without his space helmet, anyway? That seems like a supremely dumbass move.

Everything from going into the monolith until the star baby is maybe better on drugs. But I don't know if there are any drugs that are better than watching that sequence.

Mandela Effect: the line "My God! It's full of stars!" is not in the movie (it's in the novel, and is the opening line of 2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT.

Okay, that's enough. Writing about 2001 is just silly compared to actually watching it.

Running Time: 149 minutes
My Total Minutes: 479,978

No comments: