Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Jason watches "Evan Almighty"

And I really wanted it to be good. I like Steve Carell, and despite what you might think I have no objection to religion-themed movies or family friendly comedies, just as long as they're done well. But this one just...wasn't. I can't put my finger on it, but something seemed off. Even Jon Stewart's cameo as himself wasn't that funny. And Jon Stewart is brilliant, there's something off when Jon Stewart isn't even right playing himself. I don't mind that the resolution is fairly predictable, I think the problem is more that every joke is pushed a little too hard. It's one thing to have a theater marquee advertising "The 40 Year Old Virgin Mary", that's good for a chuckle. But leave it in the background for people to discover, don't zoom in on it until it fills the screen--that's just insulting the audience's intelligence.

That's it, I have nothing more to say.

No comments: