Thursday, July 4, 2013

Jason slips into a Vortex and into THE FOG

Finally catching up on the blogging, and last Thursday I made it back to my favorite underground movie club, The Vortex Room. It had been too long, I missed nearly all of their Vortex Phenomena series--supernatural films. So I was jonesin' for a Vortini or three (the Vortini--or Vortex Martini--is a simple, classic gin-and-vermouth martini with an olive, but made with unparalleled excellence.) Then I settled in for the movie.

THE FOG is classic John Carpenter--small town (the fishing town of Antonio Bay, Near the California/Oregon border), creepy atmosphere, and an ancient curse. Every night the fog rolls in, and people die. Carpenter also reunites with his HALLOWEEN star Jamie Lee Curtis, and features her mother Janet Leigh. While this isn't the best remembered John Carpenter movie, it's a solid piece of atmospheric, serious supernatural horror. A good reminder of when Carpenter made honest-to-God scary movies, instead of the silly stuff he has put out recently.

Running Time: 89 minutes
My Total Minutes: 332,843

No comments: