Thursday, January 21, 2016

Jason Watches THE REVENANT

And boy is it fun to watch Leonardo DiCaprio suffer!

In all seriousness, it's an exceptionally made movie, Leo is fantastic in it, and I expect it to get lots of awards. It's also absolutely brutal and hard to watch sometimes. I could try to describe the plot--Leo is a guide for a gang of trappers, has a native (Pawnee) wife and a half-native son who is helping him. The band is attacked by rival natives, he's attacked by a bear, a scumbag in the party agrees to watch over him but instead kills his son and leaves him for dead. And the rest of the movie is Leo struggling to survive, heal, and get his revenge. Wow, that was super spoiler-y, sorry. Except that the movie is so much more than the story. It's the visceral, vicious, brutal, uncompromising, unblinking look at his suffering and survival. It's brilliant, but I don't know if I can ever bring myself to watch it again.

Running Time: 156 minutes
My Total Minutes: 413,745

No comments: