Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jason Watches FUNNY PEOPLE

Actually, I watched it several days ago, just been too busy to blog.

Just a few comments:

It's funny, but it's not a comedy. It's a drama about how people use humor in everyday life, especially the painful moments. I think that throws a lot of people for a loop. It's actually a good story that happens to be about people who make people laugh for a living.

Aside: I want that Super-Jew t-shirt Seth Rogen wears in the movie (Superman's S in a Star of David).

My friend Ira has started his own movie blog, and wrote a great post about this movie. I'm going to start calling him "Shmyra". A good deal of his post is about how tickled he was that Adam Sandler kept calling his name (Ira is the name of Seth Rogen's character). Well, the weirder part is the character's name is actually Ira Wiener. Okay, it's pronounced like someone who whines a lot, not a slang term for penis, but there is a scene of Adam Sandler taunting him by intentionally mispronouncing it and yelling "Ira Wiener, Ira Wiener, Ira Wiener!" Now that caused quite a bit of cognitive dissonance in me. I know it's just a movie, but I couldn't help thinking:

A. Ira and I would never get married. He's a nice guy and all, but gay marriage is still illegal and neither one of us is gay.
B. Even if we did get married, I wouldn't make him take my name, and I can't see him wanting to become a Wiener.

By the way, best cathartic movie for Wieners has to be WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE (all about how much it sucks to be a Wiener in junior high).

And now that I'm completely off topic, I shall end this post.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

That was the most off-topic review EVER, Jason.