Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jason watches "The Kingdom"

Or as I like to call it, "Cowboys and Arabians". It's just sad how a movie that I assume had some serious ambition fell back on cliches of heroic Americans and evil Arabs. I mean, even the "good" Arabs are either stupid, corrupt, or violent...or they get killed. Whatever. There's more insight in the opening credits--a promising 1-minute history of modern Saudi Arabia--than there is in the rest of the movie. I have nothing more to say. I hope this final movie was the result of studio interference forcing them to water down their message, because it feels like director Peter Berg had something more intelligent in mind. But even if that's the case, I don't think it can be saved with a director's cut. The smarter version of this movie is a completely different movie.

No comments: