Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Jason goes to Indiefest--Day 13

Two more movies last Tuesday.

First up was STINKING HEAVEN, a dark comedy about a sobriety commune. Jim and Lucy run the place, and part of the house therapy is reenactments of traumatic episodes of their lives--all recorded on videotape. Then things are thrown into slow-motion chaos by the arrival--re-arrival, that is--of Ann, who is both a former member and a former lover of another member. And she's not there to be a peaceful, normally contributing member. The comedy is subtle and pitch-black, but it's there. You have to be the right kind of person, and in the right mood, with the right amount of sleep to see it. I was at best two out of three. I could see there was quality in it, but was too exhausted to appreciate it. 

The next show started with the short WINTER LIGHT, an excellent movie about a showdown between a college professor in a remote forest town and the hunters who trespass on his property.

That was the lead-up to SLACKJAW. Zach Weintraub's comedy about the politics of multi-national companies, medical testing, friendship and...you know what, I was clearly exhausted last Tuesday. I don't remember much of it. I have a screener link. I'll watch it later and get back to you.

Total Running Time: 170 minutes
My Total Minutes: 419,942

No comments: