Thursday, October 15, 2015

Jason watches THE GREEN INFERNO

It's unfair to compare Eli Roth's layers to either his earlier work (which I enjoy a lot) or to his inspiration, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980.) There are plenty of gruesome scenes (Roth claims zero edits were required, this is 100% his vision.) And I like the perversity of the idea of torturing naïve do-gooders. And I like the twist at the end. But beyond that, the plot just seems thin and lacking much of...a point. Or characters. Or the brutal sense of humor of the original (seriously, for those who are familiar with it, the "stop wasting film" scene and the "guys, we're rolling" scenes are two of my favorite examples of pitch-black humor ever.) But at least it's got a few stomach-churning scenes.
 
Running Time: 100 minutes
My Total Minutes: 405,683

No comments: