Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jason watches "Bee Movie"

I'd actually meant to see it for a while, because Seinfeld is pretty funny, but other things just took priority.

I fully expected it to strain my patience for corny bee jokes ("A perfect report card--all B's!" is a real groaner), but quite a few bits about the fast-paced all-work bee lifestyle were pretty clever. The celebrity cameos by Sting and Ray Liotta were kinda cool, but the Larry King bit was absolutely inspired! But most of all I was surprised by how darn Jewish it was. Of course Seinfeld's Jewish, and a lot of that comes through in his comedy anyway. And the goyim probably wouldn't even pay attention to lines about bee-ish humor ("with what we've gone through, if we didn't laugh we'd cry") or concerns about whether his girlfriend is bee-ish. But it's there, it's really Jewish, and I loved it. Of course, you shouldn't read too many Jewish parallels into it, or you'll get an Auschwitz vibe from the scenes of the honey farms, and I don't think that was intended. But all in all (and I didn't think this competition would ever exist) I think it beats out Woody Allen in "Antz" and the most Jewish computer-animated movie about insects ever. Now that would be a double feature--maybe the kids program at a Jewish Film Festival?

Anyway, Happy Hanukkah to all my loyal readers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well then, on your recommendation, I think I'll go see it. I was struggling with the age old question: "To Bee or not to Bee." I guess I'll Bee. And a Happy Hannukah to you, too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Us goyim are a little more perceptive than you give us credit for, I assure you. I'd say the "bee-ish" joke was quite obvious to me. I have to say I disagree with you about the honey farms, definitely intended to imply concentration camps. A shame the athiest jews mock themselves. This movie was totally jewish, as all Hollywood is, but I did like the fact that the movie somewhat gave credit to true Judaism's message of the jewish people being a source of light/life to the world

Replica Watches said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.