Sunday, August 5, 2007

Jason watches "The Ten"

As I mentioned previously, this was my backup plan for not getting rush tickets to "Sweet Mud". It's a wacky short story compilation based on the ten commandments, each introduced by Paul Rudd and starring a cast (Winona Ryder, Jessica Alba, Gretchen Mol, Liev Schrieber) that's unexpected from what appears to be a pretty independent, weird movie. I don't want to go into a lot of detail, this is in general release so you can find plenty of information about it. It's foul-mouthed, dirty, but mostly just really weird. It's main problem is it begs waaaay too hard for every joke. And about 10 minutes in I realized 'Oh! I get it, this movie is retarded!' At that point, I could try to sit back and just enjoy it on it's own terms. And by the second five, where it starts folding back on itself and referencing the earlier stories, it does get pretty clever. Humor is very subjective, and if you look past the desperation, there are quite a few laugh out loud moments here. I can almost imagine the great movie that's underneath if it weren't so insistent on always being "on". As it is, it likely has a strong future as a cult classic.

No comments: